Old September 22nd 10, 08:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.telecom.mobile
Steve Dulieu[_2_] Steve Dulieu[_2_] is offline

Default I'm in the tunnel

"Roy Badami" wrote in message
[X-posting to uk.telecom.mobile]

On 22/09/10 11:24, Recliner wrote:
Bad news -- it looks like mobile phones may work on the Tube after all,
according to that ever accurate source, the Evening Standard. So no more
cutting off of noisy phone callers as the train enters the tunnel.
__________
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23880176-boris-johnson-wants-mobile-coverage-on-tube-in-time-for-2012.do

Perhaps the Londoners here can set me straight on this.

Back when One2One first launched, it launched as a London-only network.
Its selling point, apart from being cheaper than Cellnet and Vodafone, was
that it claimed better coverage in the capital than the two national
networks.

I have strong recollections that part of that claim was that it worked on
the tube. I remember quite specifically reading about this, down to (at
least some) discussion about the technology and the use of leaky feeders.

Am I mistaken? Did One2One ever work on the tube, or was that just a plan
that never came to fruition? And if it did work on the tube, what
happened to that infrastructure and why and when did it stop working?

Sadly you are mistaken, One2One never worked on the tube. The only customer
facing mobile telecoms that have ever worked on the LUL deep level tubes was
the old Rabbit network which had base stations on a lot of our platforms. I
remember my boss being stunned when I demonstrated my Motorola Silverlink
handset making calls to our depot at Arnos Grove from the platforms at Hyde
Park Corner and Wood Green stations on the Piccadilly line, back in the
early nineties before One2One were even online. Of course, that all got
knocked on the head when Hutchinson killed Rabbit to roll out Orange. Us
tube train drivers were some of the few people that though this was a
retrograde step.
--
Cheers, Steve
To reply change the exclamatory smelly stuff to a well known mobile telecoms