Old September 22nd 10, 08:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london
David Walters David Walters is offline

Default I'm in the tunnel

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 20:33:59 +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 11:24:29 +0100, "Recliner"
wrote:

It would mean Tube passengers could stay in mobile range throughout
their journey, a move which could boost the capital's economy, although
there would almost certainly be some quiet carriages on Underground
trains where phones were banned.

Even better idea - how about making it data-only? Texting and use of
the Internet is not disruptive.

You can make voice calls over a data connection with various voice over
IP systems.

Phone calls on a crowded Tube train
would be unpleasant.

I don't find it to be a problem at the North end of the Northern line. It
isn't crazy busy but is usually standing room only.

The real limiting factor on voice calls will be when the train goes over
noisy track work.

I'm skeptical that it will happen. There seems to be a suggestion that
the mobile phone networks will pay and they will share infrastructure. It
sounds like an expensive project which doesn't give a marketing advantage
and I don't see it generating a lot of extra revenue. I'd love data on
the underground bits of the Northern line but I'm not holding my breath.