Old January 28th 04, 09:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Jack Taylor Jack Taylor is offline

Default Double deck Crossrail

"Peter Beale" wrote in message
o.uk...

They didn't have *too* many passengers in the 1940s, having been
built in 1949. But having used them on several occasions, I agree with
your comment.

Thanks, Peter. I knew they were 1940s vintage but couldn't remember exactly
what year they dated from!

In a sense they were more one-and-a-half-deck than double-deck,
with the upper deck compartments fitting in between the lower ones
rather like pieces of a jigsaw. And loading was slow, each compartment
with a door, and then stairs up to what you might call the mezzanine
floor compartment.

I suspect that Health and Safety, Disability Discrimination Act and Rail
Vehicle Accessibility Regulations would all prevent such stock being
constructed nowadays.