Old September 26th 10, 12:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Ludgate Hill overbridge

[x-posted to uk.transport.london]

On Sep 26, 12:53*pm, Ken Wheatley wrote:
Just spend some time looking at the Snow Hill tunnel and the history of
what we now call the Thameslink route, but I'm confused. The sites all
seem to imply that the Ludgate Hill bridge was demolished, along with
Holborn Viaduct, with the arrival of Thameslink.

I'm convinced I can remember crossing the bridge more than once as, for
a time, it carried Thameslink trains.

Have I gone wrong?

No - for a short period the embryonic Thameslink service did indeed
cross the Ludgate Hill bridge before descending down the old incline
to the Snow Hill tunnels (and on to Farringdon). This all changed with
the redevelopment on the site of Holborn Viaduct and around Ludgate
Circus, which incorporated the new City Thameslink station (initially
called St Paul's) - the line was moved to a low level alignment (with
Cith Thameslink being broadly underneath the site of the old Holborn
Viaduct station) and the incline was moved further south, to a point
just north of Blackfriars station.

(I think that's more or less right!)