Old September 26th 10, 05:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Piccadilly Circus/Lower Regent Street

In message . li, at
22:25:41 on Thu, 23 Sep 2010, Tom Anderson
remarked:

A similar principle applies to roads being called 'Road' at all. It's
Holloway Road because it goes to Holloway, but Liverpool Street because
it doesn't go to Liverpool!

Reminds me of that old story, which I saw played out in front of me a
week ago at Stansted Airport. Elderly north american lady having been
helped to buy a ticket and shown the lift to the platforms (I saw the
helpful person putting her in the lift); still insisted on asking the
staff down below where the train to "Liverpool" was departing from.
There isn't one any more, which probably reduces the number of nasty
accidents.