Old September 28th 10, 07:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Graeme[_2_] Graeme[_2_] is offline

Default Up/down/northbound/westbound?

In message
"Graham Harrison" wrote:

On the "Main Line" trains are usually referred to as going "up" or "down" by
the staff. However, it seems that, even "London Transport" refer to
Underground lines by their geographic direction; it's not just the public
signs that say "Northbound" etc. Is that correct? Did they ever use
up/down? I've seen it suggested that the reason for using "Southbound"
etc. is related to the American involvement in the building of some of the
tube lines; comments?

The main line use of up/down is not applicable to the UndergrounD so the
geographic system is more appropriate. I believe such useage predates Yerkes
involvement.

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Photo galleries at http://graeme-wall.fotopic.net/