Old September 28th 10, 01:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Up/down/northbound/westbound?

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 13:27:34 +0100 someone who may be Roland Perry
wrote this:-

Assuming the Birmingham train is going to Sheffield, perhaps. If instead
it heads for Long Eaton and Nottingham, presumably that's up to start
with, then down past Trent Junction?

According to my 1980 Quail it will arrive at Derby on the Up Main,
change direction, depart on the Up Main, and from Trent East
Junction run on the Down main, then the Down Fast to Nottingham.
However, the designations may have been changed now, BR having a
fetish at the time for "fast" lines rather than "main" or "through"
lines as they used to be called in some places.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54