Old January 28th 04, 01:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

Default Oyster readers turned off

In message , Simon Hewison
writes
Not Leyton, but Totteridge and Whetstone, for a few days all the gates
were set to "Entry only", but with the gates open. The oystercard readers
on the 'inside' part of the gates had no lights whatsoever, and wouldn't
accept. Problem then was on walking through the 'open' gates, it picked
up an attempt to enter again, leaving an unresolved journey on there and
a potential overcharge. The station, as it often is, was unmanned.

There is clearly a need for station staff to understand they can't just
leave the gates in the state that they've been in for the past few
years. (open, and in whatever state they happen to be in).

When gates are set Open (from the SCU) they are still set in either
entry or exit mode. Whichever sort you need to validate the start or
finish of your journey, look for gates which have their paddles on the
side away from you.
I can see that this is a problem for stations which for staffing reasons
have the gateline unmanned, so thank you for an interesting point.
(This applies to electronic gates; as I've never worked at a station
with pneumatic gates, I don't know how they behave.)
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.