Old September 30th 10, 09:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Walter Briscoe Walter Briscoe is offline

Default Two Stockwell oddities

In message
s.com of Thu, 30 Sep 2010 07:37:36 in uk.transport.london, Offramp
writes
Two unusual things about Stockwell.
1 The stairs at the headwall of the northbound Northern Line are Keep
Right. Most stairways I know on the Underground are Keep Left.

AFAIR, at Baker Street, the stairs from the Metropolitan platforms (1-4)
to the Metropolitan ticket hall are "Keep Right". I've never been able
to make sense of this instruction as they have central handrails. So, do
they mean keep right of the handrail (giving 2 paths) or are there 2 up
and 2 down paths? The member of staff, I once asked, did not know.

2 Most unpaired, single escalators I kmow run upwards. Those at
Stockwell always go downwards

I thought there is a similar example to the southbound Northern line at
Embankment, but http://www.directenquiries.com/Base.aspx?company=Embank
ment&companyid=74275&action=stationplanroute contradicts me.

Thanks for giving me something to look for on my peregrinations.
If you wanted a list, a Freedom of Information Act enquiry might amuse.
--
Walter Briscoe