Old October 4th 10, 05:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Oyster PAYG more expensive than paper tickets?

On Oct 3, 11:41*pm, "John Salmon" wrote:
[snip initial post]

I am somewhat disappointed to have received only one reply to this message,
so let me try something more general. *Is it, or is it not, the case that
Oyster PAYG should always be the cheapest way to pay for a journey within
the area covered by Oyster PAYG? *My impression is that Oyster has been
promoted in that way, but now I'm wondering whether that only applies to LO
and LU travel, i.e. excluding other 'National Rail' travel.

I'm interested by this John - I had some vague notion that things in
c2c PAYG-land (i.e. their four stations outwith zone 6 which accept
Oyster PAYG) might have been a bit different, but that was based on me
thinking that the fares lists on the TfL website didn't list PAYG caps
for Grays etc - I see that it does now, so either I was simply
mistaken when I looked at it earlier in the year or else these caps
were initially omitted from the website for whatever reason.

I'll try and work through your first post and attempt to fathom out
what may have happened but it'll have to wait for a little while as
things are a bit busy at the mo (bears of little brain such as myself
don't have a lot of excess mental capacity to chew through
complexities such as this on the side!).