Old October 4th 10, 08:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Jonathan Morton[_2_] Jonathan Morton[_2_] is offline

Default Up/down/northbound/westbound?

"John Salmon" wrote in message

I still think the situation at Markham Moor, as viewed by a driver going
from Lincoln (on the A57) to Sheffield (on the A57), is most
unsatisfactory.

[1] Incidentally, the A57 has been merged with the A1 between Markham Moor
and Apleyhead (formerly known as Five Lane(s) End(s)), (and the A614 has
been merged with the A1 between Apleyhead and Blyth) ever since the
combined Retford/Doncaster bypass opened around 50 years ago. Prior to
that, the stretch of road being discussed *was* the A57.

I was going to say, not so much "merged with" as "appropriated". It has to
be said that the Retford bypass is showing its age - the bit near Elkesley
is particularly awful, especially since they completed the grade separations
between Blyth and Stamford.

Regards

Jonathan