Old October 4th 10, 10:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
John Salmon[_4_] John Salmon[_4_] is offline

Default Up/down/northbound/westbound?

"Jonathan Morton" wrote
"John Salmon" wrote
I still think the situation at Markham Moor, as viewed by a driver going
from Lincoln (on the A57) to Sheffield (on the A57), is most
unsatisfactory.

[1] Incidentally, the A57 has been merged with the A1 between Markham
Moor and Apleyhead (formerly known as Five Lane(s) End(s)), (and the A614
has been merged with the A1 between Apleyhead and Blyth) ever since the
combined Retford/Doncaster bypass opened around 50 years ago. Prior to
that, the stretch of road being discussed *was* the A57.

I was going to say, not so much "merged with" as "appropriated". It has to
be said that the Retford bypass is showing its age - the bit near Elkesley
is particularly awful, especially since they completed the grade
separations between Blyth and Stamford.

Indeed so. I was Clerk to Elkesley Parish Council from 1996 until 2005, and
I wrote numerous letters to the Highways Agency alerting them to various
issues arising out of the scheme to eliminate the six roundabouts. Most of
these letters seemed to fall on deaf ears, and even now the residents of
Elkesley are still waiting for the 'promised' bridge to reconnect them to
the outside world. The village is virtually cut off whenever there is an
incident on the A1 (and almost so, even when there isn't an incident!) The
only other way in and out of the village is via a country lane through a
ford.