Old October 7th 10, 04:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Arthur Figgis Arthur Figgis is offline

Default Crossrail and Tube upgrades spared the axe - NCE

On 07/10/2010 09:54, d wrote:
On Wed, 6 Oct 2010 11:03:19 -0700 (PDT)
Mizter wrote:
so since its their parents paying theres no reason they can't cough up a
full fare.

What? 16-18 year old Londoners in further edukashun (sixth form etc)
get free bus travel. It makes a world of difference to some.

If they're so poor they can't afford a bus fare then their family is
probably already on benefits. Theres no justifiable reason for kids to
have free or subsidised travel on public transport.

Encouraging the habit for later? Supporting extra-curricular education?
Giving them something to do other than insert whatever the Daily
Express says young people today do with their time?

Perhaps it might also be a small help to kids faced with the "when I was
your age I was down pit[1] earning money to support my 10 siblings, not
wasting time with that namby-pamby education nonsense". In My Day people
fell into a bit of hole if their families were rich enough not to get
much help but not generally supportive of education.

[1]or whatever the London equivalent is.
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK