Old July 15th 03, 05:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london
CJG CJG is offline

Default Epping-Ongar news?

In message , Boltar
writes
Guided busways have hardly ever been a success wherever they've been
tried. They're a solution designed by a commitee. "We want something
that follows a set route but we like busses , I know , lets have a
guided bus!". Duh. If you want a guided vehicle have a railway , rail
vehicles are more efficient in energy use , can carry FAR more people
than any bus and are more reliable. If you want a bus put it on a road
, you don't need to build a special road with side barriers (which is
all a busway is) for it. I wonder how long after this road .. sorry
"busway" is built, it would take for some politician eager to coin in
the motorist vote to say "Hey , why don't we let cars use this road too?"

But aren't guided bus ways a lot cheaper to build and more reliable? And
guided bus ways can become normal buses when they get to the end of the
busway?
--
CJG