Old October 10th 10, 07:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default District distress

On 09/10/2010 22:22, eastender wrote:
In ,
Paul wrote:

Well you are swapping from a nearly new railway to one that awaits a
major modernisation. Even so I would not call the D Stock decrepit - OK
so they aren't air conditioned like 378s but they're roomy enough, have
been refurbished and I think they ride reasonably well. Compared to C
Stock they are a delight to use!

Yes, the contrast doesn't help. Yes, they are roomy but not very clean.

I'm also a bit surprised by the track comments too - a fair amount of
track work has been done on the District so it's not as awful as it used
to be. Again it's not a brand new formation like the ELLX but I wouldn't
describe it as on the edge of collapse.

My main complaint is the sheer slowness of the trains. They crawl along
even when not being held up (which they often are - yes I know the
junction doesn't help).

They are most likely just obeying signals. The D and C stocks trains can
actually get up to some pretty decent speeds.

Yes, nothing is too terrible but the total package is not great. It
looks and feels just like old trains running on old infrastructure. Even
the old trains on the Paris metro seem to bustle along with a lot more
purpose.

A but whingey, aren't we?