Old October 12th 10, 05:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] Mait001@aol.com is offline

Default District distress

I agree about the speed issue, and seemingly nonsensical signal hold-
ups.

Why, for example, is the Eastbound District Line ALWAYS held up as it
approaches Earl's Court - from either the Wimbledon branch or from
West Kensington? There is no flat junction obstructing either entry.
There are also 2 platforms at Earl's Court, and rarely if ever does a
train from Wimbledon go into platform1 or a train from West Ken. go to
platform 2 (can't remember even if there are cross-overs allowing
this).

The last time I used the line, around 7.00a.m., even though there was
no train ahead of mine for at least 10 minutes, my train from West
Kensington was held up at red signals outside Earl's Court for a
couple of minutes. Why? There cannot have been a train ahead of it on
the same line, with the 10+ minute headway already described. When it
entered the station on platform 1, platform 2 was empty as well.

It's one of the many factors that makes me avoid using the Underground
at all costs. Funnily enough, at that time in the morning, it's
quicker (and far more comfortable and less hassle) to get an 11 bus
from Fulham to Liverpool Street than using the Underground, especially
with the now complulsory platform change, using stairs, at Edgware
Road or a walk of many hundreds of yards if using the Central Line via
Notting Hill Gate.

M.M.