Old January 30th 04, 12:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Gareth Davis Gareth Davis is offline

Default Oyster readers turned off

wrote in message . ..
[snip]

You have to validate in at Waterloo (Waterloo & City) platforms, as
you always need to have swiped in and out for the part of your journey
where Prepay is valid, even if you havea vaild travelcard covering all
the zones.

But I have already swiped in at Vauxhall NR and the signs say quite
clearly that only Prepay users need to swipe.

As far as I can see you should always swipe an even number of times.
Hence in at Vauxhall NR and out at Shadwell DLR rather than in at
Vauxhall NR, in again at Waterloo W&C then out at Shadwell DLR - which
looks like an unresolved journey to me. Although I did give the W&C
validators a go today and it did appear as 'enter' which was matched
by an 'exit' at Shadwell - so this would appear to be the correct
solution. I did ask at the Shadwell ELL ticket office when clearing
previous unresolved journeys and as far as they could see Vauxhall NR
had never been recorded on my card - it was invisible to the system -
and I had never used my card there as far as they could tell.

Validating midway through a journey sounds like it should cause an
unresolved journey, but apparently in this case it does not (probably
because Vauxhall NR does not exist). But when I travel Farringdon -
King's Cross Thameslink - Oxford Circus it does not need the
additional validation on the Thameslink machines to resolve correctly
- maybe because Farringdon is an LUL gateline?

I would be interested to know if all Oyster equipped NR stations are
equally invisible to the system or if this is some quirk of Vauxhall
NR. Has anyone else managed to make a journey through an NR Oyster
gateline without getting an unresolved journey in the process? I can't
be the only person in London having this problem

--
Gareth Davis