Old October 18th 10, 09:23 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
allantracy allantracy is offline

Default Rail commuters face 20% rise in ticket prices as cap is axed -Evening Standard

"But he will be committing political suicide if he scraps the fares
price cap altogether and allows the companies freedom to charge what
they like when they like." Only the overall fares policy will be
announced on Wednesday.

You should take all these press releases, in advance of Wednesday,
with a pinch of salt as it’s standard practice for governments to,
shall we say, encourage a bit of scare mongering in the hope we will
all breath a sigh of relief come the day.

However, any fare rises will be perceived by South East commuters for
what they are, tax increases, and tax increase on top of Brown’s
thirteen years of non-stop tax increases.

For sure, there’s been very little mood, for a long time now (even
before the credit crunch) for anymore 'blood out of a stone' tax
increases.

The election result showed that what the electorate wants and demands
is that the government gets a grip on the public sector, stops them
wasting all our money, indeed wasting all our money for the next
twenty years.

Not putting evermore burden on taxpayers, which is what nearly all
commuters are, it’s really quite simple.

But, before all that, some of us would like to see Gordon Brown shot
for the misery that he has inflicted on our nation.

And, after the cuts, most of us will want to see Gordon Brown shot.