Old October 19th 10, 10:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Eurostar puts a Velaro-D on show in London

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 03:58:37PM +0100, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:28:40
on Mon, 18 Oct 2010, David Cantrell remarked:
However, comfort and sanity are also very important, which is why I
refuse to fly for short journeys. And I consider journeys to, say,
Vienna or Rome to be short.
14hrs and 19hrs (overnight too). That's not what I'd call short

An awful lot of that time is spent asleep so doesn't really count.

So you use sleeper trains?

Yup. They're very convenient.

The line between Vienna and Zurich is *very* pretty, and I strongly
recommend doing it one day.

This sounds like a holiday. I mainly travel on business.

It was both. I was going to a conference in Vienna. My journey out
there had me away from work for just as much time as it would if I'd
flown. The difference is that instead of going home after work and
then flying out the next morning, I went straight to the station after
work. The journey back likewise - the conference ended on a Friday,
and I was back at work on the Monday, and my employer obviously didn't
care whether I spent the weekend in London or Zurich.

The primary reason for travelling was work, but I made it into a
holiday as well, by making good use of time in ways that simply aren't
practical if you fly.

I *never* travel just on business. If my employer is going to pay for
me to go somewhere, then I will wring as much value out of that as
possible. If they send me to *Birmingham* I'll try to get something
out of it, even if it's only an opportunity to meet up with friends for
a curry or a few pints at the Wellington.

Arbeit macht Alkoholiker