Old January 30th 04, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london
Robin May Robin May is offline

Default Cycle parking at stations

(pmailkeey) wrote the following in:

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 21:25:54 GMT, (Jack Tyson)
wrote:

These are the locks I have.

An Oxford Revolver Armoured Cable Lock, £30, which I use to
:secure the )frame -
Pictu
http://www.oxprod.com/Bicycle/Revolvercycle.jpg
PDF spec: http://www.oxprod.com/pdf/revolverpdf.pdf

And a Decathlon "SP3" cable lock, £5, which I usually run through
:the )quick release saddle, quick release front wheel and the frame

If £5 is what you think the bike's worth, fine.

My bike was ~£570.
Lock: £50
Chain: £35

Bear in mind that if it's left in the same place regularly for
long periods, a thief can take his time to look at the bike, see
the lock, order his tools and return at a convenient time.

I think that would have to be quite an expensive bike (e.g. like yours)
to be worth that much effort though. I have a bike that's worth £150
and looks fairly new and non-dodgy. For quite a while I locked it up
regularly outside West Ham station using a lock that's probably 8 to 10
years old, looks rather grotty and probably isn't very safe. It was
often the only bike there and as far as I can tell no one ever made any
attempt to steal it. The most that ever happened was a few times
someone twisted the gear changers.

I expect that £35 worth of lock on a £200 bike locked up in Waterloo
with lots of other bikes is probably plenty.

--
message by Robin May, enforcer of sod's law.
Enjoy the Routemaster while you still can.

Crime is confusing.