Old October 22nd 10, 03:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Sidney Endon-Lee Sidney Endon-Lee is offline

Default 2011 Fares

On 21 Oct, 19:52, Mizter T wrote:

One last thing - yes, Oyster Ticket Stops are going to stop selling
printed Day Travelcards - so that's a phasing out of sorts. Can't say
I'm really at all surprised by that - indeed, I'm sure it's been part
of the game plan, what with the withdrawal from newsagents of the
machines that printed tickets and had Oyster pads retrofitted in
favour of the much simpler, all electronic/ no moving parts Oyster
'Pearl' devices - I didn't imagine that newsagents going back to the
old ways of having a stock of pre-printed Travelcards kept in an ice-
cream box under the counter, and stamping the date on them, would last
all that long! So yes, those who specifically want a Day Travelcard
over using Oyster will now need to get to a station in order to buy
one.

That makes me less than gruntled. I live a long way from a station, so
that means I'll have to pay to take a bus to get there. Unless I can
have the cost of that journey deducted from the price of the
travelcard (cue hollow laughter), I lose out by quite a lot. The
usefulness of the paper travelcard is that I can then buy a national
rail ticket to somewhere outside the applicable travelcard zones from
the boundary of said zones, giving me great flexibility in the routing
of the journey.