Old October 24th 10, 04:20 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
1506[_2_] 1506[_2_] is offline

Default Lift Off For Great Missenden Signal Box

On Oct 23, 5:54*pm, RPM wrote:
Work is underway tonight to remove the long-redundant signal box at
Great Missenden. A large crane and a low loader were present in the
car park when I passed through tonight, and workmen have been active
at the box for the last couple of weeks dismantling the frame and
making the structure ready for the move.
Apparently it has been bought by the Mid Hants Railway for use at
Medstead & Four Marks. This is slightly puzzling because as far as I
know Medstead already has a perfectly good signal box and I can't see
what the Watercress Line would want with such a typical Metropolitan
Railway box. Can anybody provide the full story?
Nevertheless, much as I will miss seeing it, it is good to see it
being preserved. It was slowly rotting away and it was surely only a
matter or time before some scrote set fire to it.

It is great to hear that it is being preserved. It would have been a
good fit for Quainton, except that they have a box, a Midland one!
Such is the world of preservation.