Old November 3rd 10, 07:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Wifi on the tube

In message i, at
22:27:16 on Tue, 2 Nov 2010, Tom Anderson
remarked:
The wifi option only wins if you're going to download a lot or need
a fast connection.

Wifi also wins where there isn't mobile coverage!

I suspect there are very few places where there is public wifi where
there is not 3G coverage.

The tube platforms at Charing Cross (and others, if this gets rolled
out) are a rather obvious example!

As are many trains if (and I do say "if") they have usable wifi inside,
especially if it's a Voyager/Meridian style.

Meanwhile, the phone coverage (for data) inside one of the three
departure lounges at East Midlands Airport [don't mention the toner
cartridges] is sufficiently poor on both 3 and Vodafone that I sometimes
fall back to their T-Mobile hotspot.

Overseas, the balance rapidly swings towards wifi, simply because of the
cost and the lack of data roaming (for prepau dongles, anyway).