Old November 6th 10, 10:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
D7666 D7666 is offline

Default Up/down/northbound/westbound?

On Sep 30, 9:25*pm, "Clive D. W. Feather" wrote:

In 1901 the District used Up and Down (Up was generally westwards), the
Metropolitan used Up and Down (Up was generally eastwards/southwards),
and the C&SLR used Up and Down (Up was generally northwards).

When this thread appeared I knew lurking in my deeper recesses of grey
matter a present day *LU* use of the term Up somewhere.

I realised this week where I had seen it - its on full public view. On
the Met. at Baker Street on the east side (dare I say Up side?) of the
SB line in the station throat, not far off the north end of the
recently extended Pl.4, there is a group of traction section gubbins
in their yellow housimgs with enamel POS and NEG nameplates including
Up Loop. I believe this is still the present day designation of that
track although I'm not involved with SSL stuff so don't know for sure;
not marked with any name in any of the editons of Quail I have here,
but I don't have all of them.

If Up Loop is the tracks correct name, I'd suggest this is more the
exception to prove the rule, and it is a legacy name, not indicative
of LU general use of the term Up.

--
Nick