Old November 10th 10, 12:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Boxing Day Tube Strike Threat

"Roland Perry" wrote:

In message
, at
04:31:39 on Wed, 10 Nov 2010, Paul remarked:

What I don't quite understand is what are ASLEF complaining about if
there is a long standing agreeement covering working arrangements on
Boxing Day. Are they just pushing their luck?

"The spokesman said: "It used to be almost guaranteed that if
you worked one bank holiday, you would not work the next. But
the increase in service levels has meant this is now no longer
possible.

"We are not opposed to additional services for customers, but we
believe that there are times when staff need to be appropriately
compensated for working at highly unsocial times - and that
includes Boxing Day."

But, of course, the 26th isn't a Bank Holiday this year. Or are they
talking about the 28th, or was that the 27th (cont'd page 94).

(I knew that there was a reason for worrying about the Bank Holiday
arrangements this year!)

Indeed! The unions complaint seems to be about LU treating the 26th as a
normal Sunday (i.e. without offering those working any additional pay) - but
there could be various other grievances w.r.t. Bank Holiday working on top
of this. I wonder if LU has given some sort of non-contractual bonus in the
past when the 26th has fallen on a weekend day - and the issue is that
they're not offering it this time round?

Anyhow, I can almost here Philip Green (he of Arcadia Group - Topshop et
al - and friend of Tories in high places) bellowing down the phone at Boris
to sort it!