Old November 11th 10, 01:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Boxing Day Tube Strike Threat

On Nov 10, 10:03*pm, wrote:

In article ,
(Roy Badami) wrote:

Paul wrote:

What I don't quite understand is what are ASLEF complaining about if
there is a long standing agreeement covering working arrangements on
Boxing Day. Are they just pushing their luck?

I am sure they are currently preparing their excuses for threatening
to strike during the Olympic Games.

You mean the tube runs on Boxing Day? *

Yep.

If so, it must be just about the only rail service that does.

In England maybe.

No - there's a few Southern and Southeastern services, plus (reduced)
airport express services.

This webpage details what happened last year (Xmas 2009):
http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/london/h...00/8413759.stm

For the record, I'll copy and paste the relevant bits below:

---quote---
* Gatwick Express
Boxing Day - a half-hourly service.

* Heathrow Express
Boxing Day - Saturday service.

* Southeastern
Boxing Day - limited Southeastern service will run on the following
routes: Victoria to Orpington via Herne Hill, Victoria to Gillingham,
Victoria to Slade Green via Bexleyheath, Victoria to Slade Green via
Woolwich Arsenal, Victoria to Ashford International

* Southern
Boxing Day - limited service between Victoria and Brighton, London
Bridge to East Croydon via Norwood Junction and London Bridge and East
Croydon via Selhurst.

* Stansted Express
Boxing Day, Sunday 27th December, Bank Holiday Monday 28th December -
services will only run between Tottenham Hale and Stansted Airport.
---/quote---

I haven't checked what Southern and Southeastern are running this
year, though I understand from a comment on uk.r that SE aren't
running the service to Gillingham.

I have however checked the airport express services - all are running:
the HEx website states it'll be running every 20 minutes; GatEx
appears to be half-hourly albeit with a slightly extended journey
time; Stansted Express is again seemingly only running to/from
Tottenham Hale (for onward connections via the Tube - if it runs...) -
FWIW, all StEx trains appear to be stopping at both Bishops Stortford
and Harlow Town, should anyone want to come into London via that
route. Oh, and Eurostar runs on Boxing Day too, if that counts.