Old November 19th 10, 09:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Bruce[_2_] Bruce[_2_] is offline

Default 9 out of 10 people can easily use London Transport...

"MaxB" wrote:
I am always surprised that people equate disability = wheelchair. Disability
comes in many shapes and sizes, under the Disability Discrimination Act 1995
(I believe) I am disabled. But I don't need a wheelchair, a seeing or
hearing dog, a carer or anyone else to look after me.

The wheelchair symbol is used to define disability. Therein lies the
problem.

Just how many people
are we really talking about here i.e. those who actually can't walk, live
somewhere near a tube and actually want to use it. Not a huge number I
suspect.

If you include parents/carers of small children, who need
"accessibility" every bit as much as the wheelchair disabled, we're
into the millions.

Public transport is by definition a mass transit system and,
equally, by definition, cannot be all things to all people.

Are you suggesting that a "mass" transit system should only cater for
that proportion of the masses who are fit, mobile and childless?