Old November 23rd 10, 05:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Matthew[_2_] Matthew[_2_] is offline

Default Oyster top-up increased to ukp8

On Nov 23, 12:02*pm, Roland Perry wrote:
"From 2 January 2011, the minimum balance on your Oyster card before it
is automatically topped up is changing from £5 to £8. This is to ensure
that all customers with Auto top-up will always have enough credit on
their cards for any journey they wish to make."

Perhaps Paul (Corfield) can answer this one
(enquiring minds want to know).

Surely with Auto top-up I'll always have enough credit to make a
journey as I'll get topped up when I enter?

Or is it the scenario where I have £5.10 left and make a £7.30
journey to Watford Junction from Zone 1 that leaves me in negative
balance that makes me unable to enter the system again.

Does Auto top-up work when your balance goes negative I think is the
underlying question.

If it does, why the increase to £8, or is it to protect from a very
large
(impossible) negative balance?

Matt.