Old November 23rd 10, 05:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
D1039 D1039 is offline

Default Rail fares up by average 6.2% in new year - BBC News

On Nov 23, 5:34*pm, allantracy wrote:
The trouble is the country and therefore, by definition, the coalition
have been dropped in the **** by Labour.

(rant snipped)

A lower deficit than US, a lower debt than Germany...but I don't
expect we'll agree on that

One thing you have not said is that this is a formulaic increase and
the coalition's fortmula increase (RPI +3%) does not come into effect
unril Jan 2012. This is in effect, old policy

What has been clear for some time is that the privatised railway has
lead to big increases in cost. The efficiency increases in the current
control period were set under the last Labour Government. The
coalition has done nothing about that yet, the SOFA and outputs for
the current control periods are unchanged.

What the coalition is doing is simply defering capital expends into
future periods, in my view wrongly [you get more in periods of low
demand and it's economically illiterate] and without mandate [the
LibDems campaigned against the cuts we are seeing now].

Patrick