Old November 23rd 10, 09:38 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Arthur Figgis Arthur Figgis is offline

Default BBC London News

On 23/11/2010 13:24, amogles wrote:
On 23 Nov., 13:00, wrote:

And that's what the broadcasters generally have to work from.

However, if information is cryptic and unclear, the least they can do
is grab the phone and clarify.

From what I've seen of friends in (commercial) radio, it is one person
rushing round like mad. They probably wouldn't get away with dropping,
say, the sport or weather because they were too busy asking the railways
to double-check which TOCs run which services (which the punters
probably all just call "the overground" anyway...).

If the people doing the reports really had detailed knowledge of
everything they were talking about, they would be doing something other
than local media (AIUI in many cases, at least outside London, they may
not even be paid for doing it. Or maybe that was my mates trying to get
out of their rounds?).

But because the people who parrot the information don't actually
understand it, they don't notice how potentially confusing or
misleading it can be.

And it all gives an insight into how meticulous and trustworthy these
folks will be in their other reporting.

If you think any of this kind of stuff is merticulous and trustworthy,
e-mail me about an investment scheme my cousin is running in Lagos.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK