Old November 23rd 10, 09:52 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Arthur Figgis Arthur Figgis is offline

Default BBC London News

On 23/11/2010 13:35, Graham Harrison wrote:

This is true. Let's face it when some of us were younger we just headed
off and hoped. On the other hand we are where we are. Look at what
happened to Rolls Royce recently, the Trent on the Qantas Airbus blows.
RR put their head down to identify the problem and say nothing in the
meantime. What happens? Armchair experts and "the markets" all panic and
the share price drops. That's just an example of how we all react these
days. Bottom line seems to be that these days we assume no news is BAD
news.

And it often is.

I suspect much of the public sees Qantas and Airbus, not Rolls Royce.
And when the public thinks "Rolls Royce", most them aren't thinking of
aeroplanes but of a totally unrelated company.

Was it ever any different? Didn't someone famous make his fortune
gambling on the result of Waterloo; he had no more information than
anyone else, but knew people thought he might have?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK