Old November 25th 10, 12:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Pedestrianisation Of Oxford Street This Weekend

On Nov 24, 6:13*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 15:59:16 -0000, "Mizter T"
wrote:

Generally speaking I can't get very worked up about it happening on just one
day a year, though I guess I hadn't entirely put two and two together to
connect this annual exercise to the wider push by Oxford Street traders to
reduce the number of buses going down 'their' street.

And looking at it from a wider perspective, I'd think the only way it's at
all remotely feasible to even begin contemplate pedestrianising Oxford
Street on a permanent basis would be if there was a tram that passed down
its length (or, I suppose, a - shock horror - uber frequent bendy bus type
shuttle arrangement, could even be a trolley bus). The knock-on consequences
of banishing all buses from Oxford Street would be immense though.

You might therefore like to read this correspondence

http://www.london.gov.uk/moderngov/m...DF.aspx?ID=752

and then this reply.

http://www.london.gov.uk/moderngov/m...F.aspx?ID=1192

Looks like the proponents of this (IMO) daft idea are not going to give
up pushing their particular agenda.
--
Paul C

Would this argument be happening if Oxford Street happened to have a
roof over it?

Then it would be a shopping centre, and buses wouldn't be expected
inside.

I don't really understand why it's that much of an issue whether buses
go past the front door or back door of the shops. If the changes
involved a quicker route to some kind of bus station it might actually
improve access.

Bus travel is not significantly quicker than walking between Tottenham
Court Road and Bond Street with the current arrangement. If one
arrives on a 25 from the east, say, it generally makes sense to get
off in New Oxford Street and do the rest on foot. That won't really
change.