Old February 1st 04, 10:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Bob Wood Bob Wood is offline

Default tube lines south of the river

In om,
TheOneKEA typed:
(The Only Living Boy in New Cross) wrote in
message om...

According to our friend Clive,
http://www.davros.org/rail/culg/northern.html
says that services between Clapham Common and Morden were inaugurated
in 1926.
IIRC there were tunnels in the King William Street area, of a size
for Tube
stock in the 1890s (I may be very wrong on this), so the tunnelling
equipment
itself may not have been an issue.

King William Street to Stockwell was opened in 1890

Checking this site,
http://www.btinternet.com/~ptaffs/pe.../personal.html,
shows that Morden is located near a narrower portion of the Thames,
which meant
that sending tunnels under the riverbed would have been a bit easier
due to
simply having less water to worry about.

I'm not sure how that has any relevance. Neither of the two Northern Line
crossings of the Thames is anywhere near Morden.

Bob