Old November 27th 10, 09:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Thameslink programme to go ahead "in it's entirety"

In message
, at
13:26:28 on Fri, 26 Nov 2010, Paul Oter remarked:
Platform 1 at Cambridge was lengthened by a few metres about a year
ago (I forget exactly when). It's quite narrow so there's a short
length of fence on the Platform 2 side.

Thanks for the information. But it sounds like they didn't do Platform 4
as well - which was in the original Thameslink plan.

Platform 4 is unchanged, and so 8-cars only.

Platform 1 being 12-car is sufficient for a couple of morning services
to London to be 12-car, and, from next month, a couple of evening
services back from KX as well.

Indeed so, but at the risk of getting bogged down, the title of the
thread is "Thameslink in its entirety", which would originally have
included platform 4 lengthening. But we have until 2018 it seems (they
don't want to through-run the trains until the capacity improvements at
London Bridge have been done).

Maybe that's been substituted by the island, or is that a completely
separate exercise?

I don't know. My understanding is that the island platform is needed
to support 12-car trains to Liverpool Street (which, as Jim C says,
are already being built).

Yes, and the feeling I get from what's been posted is that this is a
separate exercise.