Old February 2nd 04, 08:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Steph Davies Steph Davies is offline

Default Save the 73 Routemaster!!!!

(Aidan Stanger) wrote in message ...

[talking about Routemasters]

'Tis really a case of how you use them. I think the best way of using
them would be as a peak only supplement to the regular service: on very
busy routes (the ones where buses are sometimes too full to get on), in
addition to modern buses, there should be a good supply of Routemasters
to accomodate the commuters. They should make no attempt to stick to a
timetable - the new buses that they share the route with could do that.
Instead the drivers should start at regular intervals (say every three
minutes) with the instruction to go as fast as they comfortably and
safely can. This way:

A lot of capacity could quite cheaply be provided when and where it's
needed.
Routemasters would regain their reputation for being fast.
Those who have trouble using Routemasters would be able to use the route
more easily (as crowded new buses can be just as bad)

Interpeak some of them could be used on routes that are popular with
tourists.

Absolutely superb idea, just what's needed.

Personally I hate the new bendy buses - they take up massive amounts
of roadspace (space which London doesn't have); they are a danger to
other road users, particularly cyclists (try overtaking a bendy bus -
not fun); there are far less seats on board than on other buses; and
(now I'm getting picky) they have a horrible tacky plasticky smell.

However I can see that they have some merit and combining them with
peak-time Routemasters seems like an excellent idea to me.