Old November 28th 10, 08:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Thameslink programme to go ahead "in it's entirety"

In message
, at
13:41:23 on Sun, 28 Nov 2010, TimB remarked:
The IEP can solve the white space issue on the ECML fast tracks (ie the
ex Cambridge Cruisers), but there's also the stoppers - who can live in
their own space on the slow tracks and flow through Thameslink rather
than terminating at Kings Cross.

Except that there are no slow lines for a few miles north of Welwyn.

There are a certain number of paths through Welwyn, increasing the top
speed of 2tph from 100mph to 125mph isn't going to change that. What's
the track speed there, anyway?

105 through the tunnels - the turnouts to/from the slows are 70, which
may be more relevant.

Thanks - so having 125mph trains on the Cambridge slows isn't going to
help the throughput; even if they touch 105mph for half a mile they'll
need to be slowing to 70 almost immediately.

The hourly Cambridge slows (and an hourly Peterborough) stop at Welwyn
North anyway. The ones you're talking of putting on the slow lines are
the semi-fasts, non-stop Finsbury Park to Stevenage.

I was thinking of any train which also stopped at Hitchin (and was
therefore on the slow track).

But I do sometimes wonder if getting the 365s passed for 105 instead
of 100 would make any difference!