Old November 29th 10, 12:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Tube Strike - Sun 28 (evening of) and Mon 29 Nov (all day)

On Nov 28, 4:01*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 15:17:27 -0000, "Nicola Redwood"
wrote:

The first strike, I decided to go up to Stratford to from Walthamstow (I'm a
10 min walk from Blackhorse Rd). *Absolute nightmare mostly due to all the
roadworks. *I then got the DLR to Canary wharf and then another to Cutty
Sark then a bus down Trafalgar Road to work. *To me over 4 hours.

Going back I got a bus to North Greenwich, then the 108 to Startford. *When
I had got to Stratford, they had a marshall service and special buses
through to Leytonstone from where I got a W15 back home

The 2nd strike was a bit better. *I walked to Tottenham Hale and went
through to Archway on a 41 to get the Northern Line to London Bridge and
then as normal SouthEastern to Maze Hill. *Took over 2 hours. *Same way back
this time, but no special bus service, so I just got a 158 towards Chingford
and got off at Blackhorse Road

The 3rd strike, again I walked to Tottenham Hale, got a 41 and got off at
Seven Sisters and then almost a normal journey (a bit quicker even due to
some stations on the Northern Line being closed) to London Bridge and then
Maze Hill. *Same way back home as per the previous strike

I shall be walking down to Tottenham Hale again tomorrow in sub-zero
temperatures

Goodness me what a set of journeys. An alternative for you to ponder is
the NR Line from St James St (or more sensibly Walthamstow Central) to
Hackney Downs, 30 or 56 bus to Dalston Junction and then Overground to
Surrey Quays / New Cross to pick up a South Eastern train or a bus. [I'm
not very good on the intricacies of the South Eastern network].

Alternatively the 76, 149 and 243 from Seven Sisters will drop you close
to Dalston Junction - not sure if the actual stop at the station is
still closed due to roadworks but the stop at Dalston Kingsland is
barely 3-4 mins walk from the ELL station. Given the decent frequencies
and relatively low ridership levels you're likely to get on a train with
little problem.

How about cutting out the bus altogether - NR from Walthamstow Central
or St James Street to Bethnal Green, then less than half a mile's walk
to Whitechapel for the ELL.

That said, I rather like Peter Masson's Liverpool Street stn to Cannon
Street route. All trains to Maze Hill now start from Cannon Street (I
think), so no need to change at London Bridge.

The other option to consider is the half hourly peak NXEA service from T
Hale to Stratford (on the hour and half hour). It takes 12-15 mins to
Stratford and while it is busy it has never been horrendous on the
occasions I have used it. Obviously if the Jubilee Line is not working
then DLR will be awful but you do have direct access to the DLR at
Stratford which will get you across the river.

It's nothing other than a hunch, but I bet the above service (via the
Lea Bridge route) won't be unfeasibly heaving tomorrow.

When I was on duty at Walthamstow on the first strike I had someone
wanting Penge and they had done the ELL - 30/56 - National Rail sequence
and it had worked OK.