Old November 29th 10, 08:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roy Badami Roy Badami is offline

Default London Bridge waiting rooms?

In article ,
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 22:37:47 on Sun, 28
It's a long standing tradition on the railways - I'm utterly astonished
you didn't know that.

I'm genuinely surprised - I've never noticed such a facility at any
station I use.

Assuming that it's supposed to be safer for women travelling alone, or
something like that, then I don't see how that's actually going to
work in practice without staff to enforce it -- in which case it's
actually the presence of staff that makes the platform safer, and not
the single sex waiting room.

As for sex discrimination, is it against the law to purport to stop
a man using the Ladies toilet, and how is that enforced?

Well, they'd normally provide a gents toilet as well. If there was a
men-only waiting room provided in addition to a women-only waiting
room, that would be another matter.

-roy