Old November 29th 10, 01:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default London Bridge waiting rooms?

In message , at 13:19:51 on Mon,
29 Nov 2010, Roy Badami remarked:

Assuming that it's supposed to be safer for women travelling alone, or
something like that, then I don't see how that's actually going to
work in practice without staff to enforce it -- in which case it's
actually the presence of staff that makes the platform safer, and not
the single sex waiting room.

It's not going to stop an axe-murderer rushing in and doing his worst,
but there's quite a bit of social pressure for men not to use the Ladies
Waiting Room - much the same as not using the ladies toilets.

Sure, but you've still not convinced me what (perceived) need such a
facility fulfills.

Keeps the ladies away from drunks and tramps.

What about stations where the ladies toilet is available and the gents
is locked? Is it *illegal* to suggest that the only available toilet is
"Ladies Only"?

Good question. AIUI one is not allowed to discriminate when supplying
goods and services. I wonder whether you need to be charging for the
services to be within the scope of the act?

Given that many stores have ladies-only changing rooms in their dress
departments, where you are charging for the dresses; and there are
plenty of pay-to-use Ladies loos, I think that's a dead end.