Old November 29th 10, 05:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Bill Borland Bill Borland is offline

Default London Bridge waiting rooms?

In article
s.com, writes
On Nov 29, 3:27*pm, (Roy Badami) wrote:

A google search finds very little information about women-only waiting
rooms, but I did find one suggestion that they went out of favour
largely as a result of such concerns.

It used to be Ladies waiting room and General waiting room; I've never
seen a Gentlemen's waiting room; were there ever such things? There
were also 1st and 3rd class waiting rooms, but that was before my
time. There were also Ladies only compartments of course; I'm not
sure when they went out of use, but they were still around in about
the early '70s.

As recently as last year (and it may still be there) there was a
Ladies' Waiting Room on Plat 4 at Orpington, with the Ladies' toilet
opening off it. What is annoying is that was no "General" waiting
room and that station is *cold*.
I think Ladies Only compartments lasted right up to the end of
compartment stock.
--
Bill Borland