Old November 30th 10, 09:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Graham J[_2_] Graham J[_2_] is offline

Default SNOW JOKE

A lot of bus routes have been disrupted by the snow and whilst
Metrobus have provided a lot of info through their excellent website
there is nothing at all on the TfL website which I think is an utter
disgrace. An e mail will be winging its way to them from me, I might
get a reply by next summer!

There was plenty of information on the real time news section of the site,
although of course you have to know to look there. For example I knew that
the 197 had been diverted via Elmers End, then further diverted via
Beckenham War Memorial (although the status update confusingly mentioned
Woodside Green which couldn't have been right), and then completely
withdrawn. Admittedly it was a bit confusing having all three of those
statuses appear simultaneously and some timestamps would have been useful
but the information was there. It could also have been improved by
explaining exactly why there were diversions or withdrawals e.g. which roads
were considered impassable.

There was perhaps a lack of comment on the degree of disruption to services.
For example, although I knew that at one stage the 130, 197 and 312 had all
been withdrawn, there was no comment on any disruption to the 410 at all
(not even the general comment about disruption in the Croydon area). I
assume in the absence of information to the contrary that they were running,
although I didn't see any this evening, but with traffic on one mile long
local distributor road on the route typically moving at just a few m.p.h.
and Croydon town centre rumoured to be pretty much jammed solid, it seems
unlikely it was performing at anywhere near its best.

What I did notice while I was monitoring the site for a while is that the
status updates were reworded so that instead of just saying that a service
had been withdrawn, it said that a service had been withdrawn by the named
operating company. It read very much as "don't blame us, blame
Arriva/Metrobus/whoever, it was them, not us" and I found it a smidgen
childish and unnecessary.