Old December 6th 10, 05:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london
tim.... tim.... is offline

Default Network Card on Standsted Express?

wrote in message
In article ,
(Basil Jet) wrote:

On 2010\12\04 22:01, Neil Williams wrote:
On Dec 4, 3:34 pm, Basil wrote:

No, Stansted Airport has an owner, and they own its spelling, unlike
the English language which we all own.

Stansted Airport is an airport located near a village called Stansted
(Mountfitchet), with that spelling. Arguably the people who live
there get to define what the village is called, and the airport's name
derives from that...

The fact that the airport is not called Stansted Mountfitchet
Airport completely undermines your argument.

The village (small town really) was always called Stansted until the
airport got big enough for the residents to want to distinguish themselves
from it for various reasons. That included, ISTR, renaming the station.

OT1H my 1964 ER TT shows the station as Stansted.

OTOH my 1950 AA Book of the Road quite clearly shows the village name as
"Stansted Mountfitchet"

tim