Old December 7th 10, 09:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default "Oyster Card barrier blunders cost passengers £

On Dec 7, 6:53*pm, Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 07/12/2010 13:56, wrote:

On Tue, 7 Dec 2010 05:36:51 -0800 (PST)
*wrote:
take a bus, but anyone on Oyster PAYG would have to touch out at Seven
Sisters and touch in on the bus, thereby incurring an extra fare.

Yes, it does make me laugh when i hear "buses are accepting tickets" being
mentioned by official channels. Since when does a bus NOT accept an Oyster
or travelcard?

Buses don't normally accept rail-based transport tickets, but they do
during disruption. The drivers don't always seem to get told, but
usually take the hint when a huge number of ticket-waving passengers
show up at once saying the same thing.

The signs on buses saying something to the effect of "valid tickets
accepted" do puzzle me.

I'd also just love someone at TfL to explain why flat fares are ok for the
buses but not the tube. I suspect I'll never get a sensible answer to that
one.

I'm not from TfL, but possible reasons are longer journey possibilities
on the Underground (give or take the X26 bus), inter-availability with
National Rail, and demand management - it is worth encouraging people
not to use the Underground for short trips (eg in Zone 1) if they don't
need to.

But there is no such thing as an LU ticket unless someone has been
ripped off for the cash fare.

So you either pay £4 and get the bus for free, or you pay £1.80 and
get the bus for £1.20.

Unless all buses charge £0 PAYG during LU disruption?