Old February 2nd 04, 07:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Save the 73 Routemaster!!!!

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 11:29:31 +0000, Ian Jelf wrote:

To be honest, I've never thought that paying at stops slows the service
down (relatively few people did so anyway and the flat fare made it
pretty painless).

It doesn't make *much* difference, but over the length of a route all-door
boarding (with two sets of doors on a regular length single-decker and
three on a bendy) and no requirement to purchase or show tickets to
the driver really does speed things up, as I saw in Hamburg.

TfL's current fudge, where a ticket needs to be bought off the bus but
shown to the driver, makes precious little difference. It either needs to
be done properly, with lots of revenue squads out and about and no need to
even speak to the driver, or not at all.

Neil