Old February 2nd 04, 09:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Save the 73 Routemaster!!!!

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 22:26:50 +0000, Terry Harper wrote:

My view is that they should be restricted to a free shuttle the full length
of Oxford Street, and that all other buses be diverted from it.

I'd be tempted to agree. One of the problems with Oxford Street (just
like its equally busy in bus terms namesake in Manchester, Oxford Road)
is that there are too many different buses to too many destinations. This
means that you end up with lots of buses stopping all over the place,
blocking the road and impeding progress.

Doing this would require some heavyweight planning to make connections
work properly, mind. It'd also help to lose the taxis, or if they are to
be retained have specific taxi ranks/"stops" off the main flow of the
road, and no stopping whatsoever at other points.

Neil