Old December 13th 10, 11:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Kings X schematic map

On Dec 12, 1:44*pm, (Roy Badami) wrote:
In article ,
Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 13:10:48 on Sun, 12
Dec 2010, Roy Badami remarked:
The gates wee shut, but not locked, when I last saw it. (A member of
staff breezed through, but it was clearly not open to the public).

Do you recall where this route used to emerge at platform level? *Was
it at the gates at the end of the Eastbound platform?

Yes, and you can see it (s-shaped corridor) on my plan:

Thanks. *That might explain why the gates weren't locked, then.
There's a (permanent-looking) sign at the platform end which indicates
it as an 'emergency staircase' or some such.

Though that sign certainly doesn't look brand new -- I wonder if this
was always an emergency route, at least in recent times, but
occasionally pressed into public service during escalator work (or
possibly routinely to reduce overcrowing in the peaks?)

ICBW but I do seem to recall a time when the permanent signage pointed
towards the escalators, but (possibly only in the peaks) there was a
handwritten sign on a whiteboard directing Southbound passengers along
the passage under discussion.

http://www.perry.co.uk/images/kx-composite.jpg

Yes, your plan is actually quite useful once you know the general
layout of the station. *The first time I looked at it I just found it
overwhelming, but having spent a little time looking at the 3D plan I
can now see that there's a greater level of detail on your plan which
is quite instructive.

* * -roy

I made a point of checking today, and both ends of the passageway had
the concertina barriers across them. I wouldn't normally look,
because I'd come to the short escalators first and not check anything
else.