Old December 24th 10, 10:23 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Paul Scott[_3_] Paul Scott[_3_] is offline

Default LUL Movia S stock impressions

wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 15:41:18 -0800 (PST)
sehinde raji wrote:
Amersham. Another thing that struck me was how narrow the carriages
were compared to the old trains. Looks like a SARDINE car to me. I

According to wikipedia (yeah I know, but try finding another reference)
they're
actually *wider* than A stock. 2.92m vs 2.90m. Which is actually larger
than
mainline loading gauge so I wonder if there are any issues when hauling
them from the factory?

They are significantly shorter individual carriages, so that the extra width
probably isn't a significant issue assuming there'll be a few speed
restrictions through certain platforms. On the Chiltern route, platforms
are good for fairly wide 23m units, ie the 165s

Paul S