Old December 30th 10, 11:33 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
1506[_2_] 1506[_2_] is offline

Default Crossrail western termunus

On Dec 30, 12:27*pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Thu, 30 Dec 2010, 1506 wrote:
On Dec 30, 9:16�am, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:
The current plan is to terminate Crossrail at Maidenhead I believe.

During past discussions I recall various people putting forward the idea
that Reading would be a more logical terminus. � Others pointed out that
there wasn't much point as long as Reading wasn't remodelled.

Well, now we're getting the remodelling AND the wires will one day pass
through Reading to Oxford and Newbury.

The question I have is does it make more sense to leave the Crossrail
terminus at Maidenhead or extend it to (or beyond?) Reading at some point in
the future?

Clearly, the question is almost rhetorical. *Crossrail should go to
Reading.

No, Crossrail should go to Slough. Trying to run suburban metro and home
counties commuter services with the same tracks and trains is a
transparently stupid idea which we will come to regret very quickly.

Thameslink?