Old February 3rd 04, 04:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] romic@cix.compulink.co.uk is offline

Default My train is on fire!

In article ,
(Cast_Iron) wrote:

wrote:
In article ,
(Clive D. W. Feather) wrote:

Because the car is motoring at that point, it is drawing several
hundred amps.

In reality, several thousand. 59 stock and other trains prior to the
present
generation drew about 3000 amps when pulling away. I would hazard a
guess
that the newer trains draw somewhat more, although being "more
efficient" I
could be wrong..

I seem to remember the 1959 stock motor cars were protected with 600A (or
possibly 800A) ribbon fuses. I'd have to dig the diagrams out to check. I
can't remember with the 85 stock, I'd have to dig around for the relevant
manuals.

Roger