Old January 3rd 11, 12:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default New Year's Eve in London

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
news
I have never been tempted to go and watch the London fireworks -
standing getting freezing cold hardly appeals. Most years I am
somewhere much warmer and have only bothered to try to see the local
fireworks once in Hong Kong. It was an utter waste of time as I saw
nothing. I now don't bother at all as you can see it on the news
repeatedly.

I understand that three (possibly four) years ago in London that the
police get very close to a very serious crush condition at one
location and nearly lost control of the crowds at another due to the
way the crowds were being herded. I won't use the word "manage" as it
implies some sense. It seems that the police response is to manage
people even more tightly. I have absolutely no wish at all to be
herded into a pen against my will.

Thank you for reminding me why I don't bother to waste my time !

Yes, as with many live events, the multiple TV cameras have far better
vantage positions than any single spectator, even one who queued for
hours, could get. And which live spectator could judge that this year,
for the first time, the London new year fireworks were even better than
Sydney's?